[openstack-dev] OpenStack Developer Mailing List Digest January 7-13
mike at openstack.org
Sat Jan 14 18:50:45 UTC 2017
HTML version: https://www.openstack.org/blog/2017/01/openstack-developer-mailing-list-digest-20170113/
* dims : Rally running against Glance (Both Rally and Glance using py3.5).
* AJaegar : docs.openstack.org is served from the new Infra file server that
is AFS based.
* jd : Gnocchi 3.1 will be shipped with an empty /etc and will work without
any config file by default.
* cdent  : edleafe found narrowed down an important bug in gabbi.
* Tell us yours via OpenStack IRC channels with message “#success <message>”
* All: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Successes
Return of the Architecture Working Group
* Meeting times Alternate, even weeks Thursday at 20:00UTC, odd weeks Thursday
* Currently two proposes:
- “Base Services” proposal 5 recognizes components leveraging features from
external services that OpenStack components can assume will be present. Two
-- Local (like a hypervisor on a compute node)
-- Global (like a database)
- “Nova Compute API” proposal 6 breaking nova-compute out of Nova itself.
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/109893.html
Restarting Service-types-authority / service catalog work
* In anticipation of having a productive time in Atlanta for the PTG, various
patches have been refreshed 7.
* Two base IASS services aren’t in the list yet because of issues:
- Neutron / network - discrepancy between common use of “network” and
“networking” in the API reference URL. Other services in the list have the
service-type and the URL name for the API reference are the same.
- Cinder / volume - Moving forward from using volumev2 and volumev3 in
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/109758.html
Feedback From Driver Maintainers About Future of Driver Projects
* Major observations
- Yes drivers are an important part of OpenStack.
- Discoverability of drivers needs to be fixed immediately.
- It’s important to have visibility in a central place of the status of each
- Both driver developer and a high level person at a company should feel
they’re part of something.
- Give drivers access to publish to docs.openstack.org.
- What constitutes a project was never for drivers. Drivers are part part of
the project. Driver developers contribute to OpenStack by creating drivers.
- Consensus: it is currently all over the place 8 9 10.
- There should be CI results available.
- Discoverability can be fixed independently of governance changes.
* Driver projects official or not?
- Out-of-tree vendors have a desire to become “official” OpenStack projects.
- Opinion: let driver projects become official without CI requirements.
- Opinion: Do not allow drivers projects to become official, that doesn’t
mean they shouldn’t easily be discoverable.
- Opinion: We don't need to open the flood gates of allowing vendors to be
teams in the OpenStack governance to make the vendors developers happy.
- Fact: This implies being placed under the TC oversight. It is a significant
move that could have unintended side-effects, it is hard to reverse
(kicking out teams we accepted is worse than not including them in the
first place), and our community is divided on the way forward. So we need
to give that question our full attention and not rush the answer.
* Opinion: Consider driver log 11 an official OpenStack project to be listed
under governance with a PTL, weekly meetings, and all that it required to
allow the team to be effective in their mission of keeping the marketplace
a trustworthy resource for learning about OpenStack driver ecosystem.
* Driver Developers:
- Opinion: A driver developer that ONLY contributes to vendor specific driver
code should not have the same influence as other OpenStack developers,
voting for PTL, TC, and ATC status.
- Opinion: PTLs should leverage the extra-atcs option in the governance repo.
* In-tree VS out-of-tree
- Cinder has in-tree drivers, but also has out-of-tree drivers when their CI
is not maintained or when minimum feature requirements are not met. They
are marked as ‘not supported’ and have a single release to get things
working before being moved out-of-tree.
- Ironic has a single out-of-tree repo 12 -- But also in-tree 13
- Neutron has all drivers out-of-tree, with project names like:
- Many opinions on the “stick-based” approach the cinder team took.
- Opinion: The in-tree vs out-of-tree argument is developer focused.
Out-of-tree drivers have obvious benefits (develop quickly, maintain their
own team, no need for a core to review the patch). But a vendor that is
looking to make sure a driver is supported will not be searching git repos
(goes back to discoverability).
- Opinion: May be worth handling the projects that keep supported drivers
in-tree differently that we handle projects that have everything
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/thread.html#109855
* Guidelines currently under review:
- Add guidelines on usage of state vs. status 14
- Add guidelines for boolean names 15
- Clarify the status values in versions 16
- Define pagination guidelines 17
- Add API capabilities discovery guideline 18
- Add guideline for invalid query parameters 19
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/110035.html
New Deadline for PTG Travel Support Program
* Help contributors that are not otherwise funded to join their project team
* Originally the application acceptance was set to close January 15, but it’s
now extended to the end-of-day Tuesday January 17th.
* Apply now if you need it! 21
* Submissions will be evaluated next week and grantees will be notified by
Friday, January 20th.
* Register for the event 22 if you haven’t yet. Prices will increase on January
24 and February 14.
* If you haven’t already booked your hotel yet, do ASAP in the event hotel
itself using the PTG room block. This helps us keep costs under control and
helps share the most time with the event participants.
- Closes January 27
- Book now 23
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/110031.html
Release Countdown For Week R-5
- Feature work and major refactoring be starting to wrap up as we approach
the the third milestone.
* Release Tasks:
- stable/ocata branches will be created and configured with a small subset of
the core review team. Release liaisons should ensure that these groups
exist and the membership is correct.
* General Notes:
- We will start the soft string freeze during R-4 (Jan 23-27) 24
- Subscribe to the release calendar with your favorite calendaring software
* Important Dates:
- Final release for non-client libraries: January 19
- Ocata 3 milestone with feature and requirements freeze: January 26
- Ocata release schedule 26
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/110042.html
 - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-glance/%23openstack-glance.2017-01-09.log.html
 - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/%23openstack-infra.2017-01-10.log.html
 - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-telemetry/%23openstack-telemetry.2017-01-11.log.html
 - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2017-01-12.log.html
 - http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/arch-wg/tree/proposals/base-services.rst
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411527/1
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/286089/
 - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/cinder/drivers.html
 - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/support-matrix.html
 - http://stackalytics.openstack.org/report/driverlog
 - http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/driverlog
 - https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic-staging-drivers
 - http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic/tree/ironic/drivers
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411528/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411529/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411849/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390973/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/
 - https://review.openstack.org/417441
 - http://www.openstack.org/ptg#tab_travel
 - https://openstackfoundation.formstack.com/forms/travelsupportptg_atlanta
 - https://pikeptg.eventbrite.com/
 - https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/events/start.action?id=1609140999&key=381BF4AA
 - https://releases.openstack.org/ocata/schedule.html#o-soft-sf
 - https://releases.openstack.org/schedule.ics
 - http://releases.openstack.org/ocata/schedule.html
More information about the OpenStack-dev