[Openstack] OpenStack upgrade Icehouse Centos 6 best practice

Chris contact at progbau.de
Tue Aug 18 03:45:24 UTC 2015

Hello,

1)      We have in total 4 separate clouds who need the upgrade with each
more than 100 compute nodes. We just use the basic services like nova,
keystone, neutron, glance and horizon. No Cinder, heat, trove etc.

Our network setup is flat provider network, which means we don't use the
neutron router. All in all the from the openstack service perspective a
minimal setup.

2)      One of our cloud is set up as HA with two management nodes
(keystone, nova, horizon, glance) behind a haproxy. It's not a big deal to
have the same setup implemented in all clouds if it's helpful for the
upgrade

3)      We don't think about upgrading from Centos 6 to 7. Instead build new
Centos 7 compute nodes and move the VMs with live migration (is it a good
idea?)

4)      What does it affect? Let's say we set up a second management node
wit Centos 7 and the openstack Juno/Kilo services will it work against the
Centos 6/Icehouse compute nodes and the Icehouse DB schema?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Chris