[Openstack-operators] OPs Midcycle location discussion.

Matt Jarvis matt.jarvis at datacentred.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 19:34:09 UTC 2015

>From my perspective we're happy to put in place anything that we can
reasonably do, and that will increase participation. Bear in mind that we
don't have massive amounts of money or people - the costs of the event as
it stands is just about covered by the sponsors we have, and I'm putting
most of the logistics together ( with help from Tom Fifield and a few
others ) as well as doing my day job.

We've already had a very kind additional offer of infrastructure help ( in
kit, bodies, connectivity etc ) from Canonical, if we want to put in place
stuff to enable remote participation in terms of audio streaming, IRC etc.
etc. If only we had some OpenStack public cloud then it would be trivial to
spin up whatever servers we might need to support that .... ;)

It would probably be helpful to have some gauge on how many people are
interested in remote participation before we do anything in terms of
enabling that in a more extensive way than etherpads - not sure the best
way to get that number, any ideas ?

On 17 November 2015 at 18:58, Matt Fischer <matt at mattfischer.com> wrote:

>> We're deciding not to innovate a solution to allow people to
>> participate in a group that is attempting to provide innovative ideas.
>> How ironic. I actually don't think it would require much innovation.
>> The Ceph guys run their entire design summit remotely, and I'm certain
>> that it way beyond one or two people. If anyone has participated in
>> that process, pointers would be welcome. If not, we can certainly post
>> to their list and ask for suggestions. I imagine Sage might pipe up
>> with some interesting thoughts at the very least.
>>

> If we can come up with a way to do so without reducing the effectiveness
> of the people who have taken the time to travel in order to speak face to
> face, then by all means, we should go for it. But it is not fair for us
> (the US folks who cannot travel) to impose something that reduces the
> effectiveness upon a midcycle that has already been planned. Perhaps the
> folks that planned this one can weigh in.

Matt Jarvis
Head of Cloud Computing
DataCentred
Office: (+44)0161 8703985
Mobile: (+44)07983 725372
Email: matt.jarvis at datacentred.co.uk
Website: http://www.datacentred.co.uk

--
DataCentred Limited registered in England and Wales no. 05611763