[PTL][TC] library *feature* freeze at Milestone-2

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 10:42:20 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-10-19 at 17:10 +0000, Elõd Illés wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During 'TC + Community leaders interaction' [1] a case was discussed, where a
> late library release caused last minute fire fighting in Zed cycle, and people
> discussed the possibility to introduce a (non-client) library *feature* freeze
> at Milestone-2 to avoid similar issues in the future.
>
> I've started to propose the possible schedule change [2] (note: it's not ready
> yet as it does not emphasize that at Milestone-2 we mean *feature* freeze for
> libraries, not "final library release"). The patch already got some reviews
> from library maintainers so I'm calling the attention to this change here on
> the ML.

Repeating what I said on the reviews, I'd really rather not do this. There are a
couple of reasons for this. Firstly, regarding the proposal itself, this is
going to make my life as an oslo maintainer harder than it already is. This is a
crucial point. I'm not aware of anyone whose official job responsibilities
extend to oslo and it's very much a case of doing it because no one else is
doing it. We're a tiny team and pretty overwhelmed with multiple other non-oslo
$things and for me at least this means I tend to do oslo work (including
reviews) in spurts. Introducing a rather large window (6 weeks per cycle, which
is approximately 1/4 of the total available time in a cycle) during which we
can't merge the larger, harder to review feature patches is simply too long:
whatever context I would have built up before the freeze would be long-since
gone after a month and a half.

Secondly, regarding the issue that led to this proposal, I don't think this
proposal would have actually helped. The patch that this proposal stems from was
actually merged back on July 20th [1]. This was technically after Zed M2 but
barely (5 days [2]). However, reports of issues didn't appear until September,
when this was released as oslo.db 12.1.0 [3][4]. If we had released 12.1.0 in
late July or early August, the issue would have been spotted far earlier, but as
noted above the oslo team is tiny and overwhelmed, and I would guess the release
team is in a similar boat (and can't be expected to know about all these
things).

I also feel compelled to note that this didn't arrive out of the blue. I have
been shouting about SQLAlchemy 2.0 for over a year now [5] and I have also been
quite vocal about other oslo.db-related changes on their way [6][7]. For the
SQLAlchemy 2.0 case specifically, clearly not enough people have been listening.
I sympathise (again, tiny, overwhelmed teams are not an oslo-specific
phenomenon) but the pain was going to arrive eventually and it's just
unfortunate that it landed with an oslo.db release that was cut so close to the
deadline (see above). I manged to get nova, cinder and placement prepared well
ahead of time but it isn't sustainable for one person to do this for all
projects. Project teams need to prioritise this stuff ahead of time rather than
waiting until things are on fire.

Finally, it's worth remembering that this isn't a regular occurence. Yes, there
was some pain, but we handled the issue pretty well (IMO) and affected projects
are now hopefully aware of the ticking tech debt bomb 💣 sitting in their
codebase. However, as far as I can tell, there's no trend of the oslo team (or
any other library project) introducing breaking changes like this so close to
release deadlines, so it does feel a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

To repeat myself from the top, I'd really rather not do this. If we wanted to
start cutting oslo releases faster, by all means let's figure out how to do
that. If we wanted to branch earlier and keep master moving, I'm onboard.
Preventing us from merging features for a combined ~3 months of the year is a
non-starter IMO though.

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/oslo.db/+/804775