[cyborg][zun][masakari][freezer-api][heat][tacker][oslo] Pending removal of 'oslo_db.sqlalchemy.enginefacade.LegacyEngineFacade'

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 18:56:47 UTC 2022

o/

This is a heads up to the maintainers of the aforementioned projects that the
oslo team are planning to remove the
'oslo_db.sqlalchemy.enginefacade.LegacyEngineFacade' class and related
'get_legacy_facade' helpers this cycle. The legacy engine facade pattern has
been deprecated since 2015 and we want to get rid of it to reduce load on the
overburdened oslo maintainers. The prefered alternative is to rely on
oslo.context RequestContext-based session management. The work required to
migrate can be quite significant depending on how large your DB API is but it is
pretty trivial. This issue has already been fixed in a couple of projects. These
can be used as blueprints for fixing the remaining affected projects:

 * cinder (https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:remove-legacyfacade)
 * nova (https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:bp%252Fnew-oslodb-enginefacade)

We expect this one to take affected projects a while to resolve, so we won't
remove this module until near the end of the cycle. However, this thing really
needs to be removed sooner rather than later.

Please let us know if you have any concerns or if the above changes are not
sufficient as a guide for how to address these issues.

Cheers,
Stephen