[sigs] Monthly Update

Michael McCune msm at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 15:34:08 UTC 2018

hi Melvin,

i think this is a nice idea to help increase communications but i
would like to share a few things i observed over the time we published
the API-SIG newsletter.

1. sometimes not much changes. we noticed this trend as the SIG become
more and more mature, basically there were fewer and fewer weekly
items to report. perhaps a monthly cadence will be better for
collecting input from the various SIGs, but just a heads up that it is
possible for some groups to have slow movement between updates.

2. tough to gauge readership. this was always something i was curious
about, we never had many (or really any) responses to our newsletters.
i did receive a few personal notes of appreciation, which were
tremendous boosts, but aside from that it was difficult to know if our
message was getting across.

3. are we talking to ourselves? this kinda follows point 2, depending
on how the newsletter is received it is entirely possible that we were
just publishing our newsletter for ourselves. i like to think this
wasn't the case, but i think it's something to be aware of as we start
to ask SIGs to take time to contribute.

mind you, i don't think any of these points should dissuade the
community from publishing a SIG newsletter. i wanted to share my
experiences just to help build awareness as we launch this new effort.

peace o/