[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Update, 4 June

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jun 4 15:30:17 UTC 2018

This is the weekly summary of work being done by the Technical
Committee members. The full list of active items is managed in the
wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard
at:https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

Project updates:

* Import ansible-role-tripleo-modify-image https://review.openstack.org/568727
* retire tripleo-incubator https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565843/
* charms: add Glance Simplestreams Sync charm https://review.openstack.org/566958
* PowerVMStackers following stable policy https://review.openstack.org/562591

Other approved changes:

* Include a rationale for tracking base services https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568941/
* Note that the old incubation/graduation process is obsolete https://review.openstack.org/#/c/569164/
* Provide more detail about the expecations we place on goal champions https://review.openstack.org/#/c/564060/

Office hour logs from this week:

* http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2018/tc.2018-05-30-01.00.html
* http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2018/tc.2018-05-31-15.00.html

The board agreed that we should resolve the long-standing issue
with the section of the bylaws that describes the TC electorate.
I will provide more detail about that in the summary from the
joint leadership session, which I intend to send separately in
the next day or two.

== Ongoing Discussions ==

Zane summarized the Forum discussion about the Adjutant team's
application as a comment on the review. The work to update the
scope/mission statement for the project is ongoing.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553643/

We discussed the Python 2 deprecation timeline at the Forum. I have
prepared a resolution describing the outcome, and discussion is
continuing on the review. Based on the recent feedback, I need to
update the resolution to add an explicit deadline for supporting
Python 3. Graham also needs to update the PTI documentation change
to differentiate between old and new projects.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130824.html
* https://review.openstack.org/571011 python 2 deprecation timeline
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/561922/ PTI documentation change

There are two separate discussions about project team affiliation
diversity. Zane's proposal to update the new project requirements
has some discussion in gerrit, and Mohammed's thread on the mailing
list about changing the way we apply the current diversity tag has
a couple of competing proposals under consideration. TC members,
please review both and provide your input.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/567944/
* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130776.html
  and
  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-June/131029.html

Jeremy has revived the thread about adding a secret/key store to
our base services via the mailing list. We discussed the topic
extensively in the most recent TC office hour, as well. I think we
are close to agreeing that although saying a "castellan supported"
database is insufficient for all desirable use cases, it is sufficient
for a useful number of use cases and would be a reasonable first
step. Jeremy, please correct me if I have misremembered that outcome.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130567.html
* http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2018/tc.2018-05-31-15.00.html

The operators who have agreed to take over managing the content in
the Operations Manual have decided to move the content back from
the wiki into gerrit. They plan to establish a SIG to "own" the
repository to ensure the content can be published to docs.openstack.org
again.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2018-May/015318.html

Mohammed and Emilien are working with the StarlingX team to import
their repositories following the plan we discussed at the Forum.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2018-May/015318.html
* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130913.html

Zane has started a discussion about the terms of service for hosted
projects. James Blair started a separate thread to discuss the
future of the infrastructure team as it starts to support multiple
foundation project areas. TC members, these are both important
threads, so please check in and provide your feedback.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130807.html
* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130896.html

Based on feedback from the joint leadership meeting at the summit,
Dims has started working on a template for describing roles we need
filled in various areas. The next step is to convert some of the
existing requests for help into the new format and get more feedback
about the content.

* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/job-description-template

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

1. I am still looking for consensus among TC members about how to
   record project updates to "old" goals so we can decide what to
   do with the patch for the Kolla project.
   https://review.openstack.org/557863

2. Team diversity measurement (see above).

3. We have several items on our backlog that need owners. TC members,
   please review the storyboard list and consider taking on one of
   the tasks that we agreed we would do.
   https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad
at:https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.