[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, April 20th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Apr 20 09:28:30 UTC 2018

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of currently-considered changes at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Adjust TC election target to 6 weeks before summit [1]
* Update docs job info to match current PTI [2]
* Goal updates: barbican
* New repos: tripleo-ha-utils, puppet-senlin

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/560002/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/556576/

The main change this week is a TC charter change moving the dates for
future TC elections, six weeks away from the summit rather than just
three weeks away, giving more time for newly-elected members to plan
their summit presence. You can read the full TC charter here:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/charter.html

== Election season ==

We are renewing 7 seats from the Technical Committee's 13 seats.
We have 10 great candidates with some geographic diversity. Voting will
start early next week. If you have questions for the candidates, please
ask them on the mailing-list ASAP ! You can find details on the process at:

https://governance.openstack.org/election/

== Under discussion ==

We have two open patches which will probably wait until the end of the
election season to be finally approved.

The first one is a review proposing the split of the kolla-kubernetes
deliverable out of the Kolla team. The various teams involved are coming
to an agreement that Kolla-k8s should be abandoned in favor of
OpenStack-Helm. A (new) change should be proposed soon to do that. If
you have an opinion on that, please chime in on the (currently-proposed)
review or the Kolla team ML thread:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552531/
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129452.html

The other discussion is around the proposed Adjutant project team
addition. At this point the discussion is expected to restart after the
election, and culminate in a Forum session in Vancouver where we hope
the various involved parties will be able to discuss more directly. You
can jump in the discussion here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553643/

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

Voting will be open to renew part of the TC next week.

I also started a thread around potential topics the joint
Board+TC+UC+Staff meeting in Vancouver, please join in if you have
suggestions:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129428.html

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

Feel free to add your own office hour conversation starter at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)