[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 15:50:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 3:40 AM Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:

> However, it makes me sad to see the continued trend of limiting
> in-person gatherings. They are useful as a way of keeping people
> aligned with similar goals and approaches to reaching those goals.
> Yes, it is expensive, but it would be nice if the patrons (our
> employers) would recognize that getting us all working well together
> is a cost of doing this business.

To echo (and add an angle) what Chris is saying: follow the money. Sales
and marketing has traditionally gotten more dollars than dev, and I feel
that splitting the summit into two is the start of the long slow
budget-cutting death of the design summit. "Sorry, we just can't afford to
send you this year" is going to erode attendance.

Also, it doesn't seem like alternative cost-savings solutions have been
considered. For example, how about we host a summit in a Not-Top-Tier city
for a change? Examples that come to mind are Columbus, Pittsburgh, and
Indianapolis, which each have convention centers larger than Austin.

On the upside, if we're going down this path, can I recommend that the Ops
summit be combined with the marketing summit? It seems like a natural fit
to put People Who Deploy OpenStack together with People Who Sell Things To
People Who Deploy OpenStack.

Michael