[openstack-dev] [all] [ptl] Troubleshooting cross-project communications

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Sep 15 14:50:49 UTC 2015

Hi all,

What can we do to make the cross-project meeting more helpful and useful
for cross-project communications? I started with a proposal to move it to a
different time, which morphed into an idea to alternate times. But, knowing
that we need to layer communications I wonder if we should troubleshoot
cross-project communications further? These are the current ways
cross-project communications happen:

1. The weekly meeting in IRC
2. The cross-project specs and reviewing those
3. Direct connections between team members
4. Cross-project talks at the Summits

What are some of the problems with each layer?

1. weekly meeting: time zones, global reach, size of cross-project concerns
due to multiple projects being affected, another meeting for PTLs to attend
and pay attention to
2. specs: don't seem to get much attention unless they're brought up at
weekly meeting, finding owners for the work needing to be done in a spec is
difficult since each project team has its own priorities
3. direct communications: decisions from these comms are difficult to then
communicate more widely, it's difficult to get time with busy PTLs
4. Summits: only happens twice a year, decisions made then need to be
widely communicated

I'm sure there are more details and problems I'm missing -- feel free to
fill in as needed.

Lastly, what suggestions do you have for solving problems with any of these
layers?

Thanks,
Anne

--