[openstack-dev] [all] [ptl] Troubleshooting cross-project communications

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Sep 15 16:12:30 UTC 2015

On 09/15/2015 08:50 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What can we do to make the cross-project meeting more helpful and useful
> for cross-project communications? I started with a proposal to move it to a
> different time, which morphed into an idea to alternate times. But, knowing
> that we need to layer communications I wonder if we should troubleshoot
> cross-project communications further? These are the current ways
> cross-project communications happen:
>
> 1. The weekly meeting in IRC
> 2. The cross-project specs and reviewing those
> 3. Direct connections between team members
> 4. Cross-project talks at the Summits
>
> What are some of the problems with each layer?
>
> 1. weekly meeting: time zones, global reach, size of cross-project concerns
> due to multiple projects being affected, another meeting for PTLs to attend
> and pay attention to
> 2. specs: don't seem to get much attention unless they're brought up at
> weekly meeting, finding owners for the work needing to be done in a spec is
> difficult since each project team has its own priorities
> 3. direct communications: decisions from these comms are difficult to then
> communicate more widely, it's difficult to get time with busy PTLs
> 4. Summits: only happens twice a year, decisions made then need to be
> widely communicated
>
> I'm sure there are more details and problems I'm missing -- feel free to
> fill in as needed.
>
> Lastly, what suggestions do you have for solving problems with any of these
> layers?
>
> Thanks,
> Anne

Hi Anne,

Thanks for starting the conversation as I think it is an area we can
really benefit from improving.

For my part, I have been trying to attend multiple mid-cycles in order
to do what I can to alleviate the effect of decisions made by one group
either duplicating work with another or directly contravening it.

It is one small part of the over communication issue which affects us
all but I do believe it has some benefit to those with whom I am able to
interact. One of the things I look for is ways for folks who need to be
discussing something specific, since they are both involved in the same
problem area, to become aware of the efforts of the other and to
encourage direct communication between those involved.

I know due to financial and personal effects this strategy doesn't
scale, but I did want to bring awareness to my efforts in your status
report.

Thanks for initiating the discussion, Anne,
Anita.