[openstack-dev] Targeting icehouse-eol?

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Jun 4 03:07:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 09:06:29AM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Following on the thread about no longer doing stable point releases [1] at
> the summit we talked about doing icehouse-eol pretty soon [2].
>
> I scrubbed the open stable/icehouse patches last week and we're down to at
> least one screen of changes now [3].
>
> My thinking was once we've processed that list, i.e. either approved what
> we're going to approve or -2 what we aren't, then we should proceed with
> doing the icehouse-eol tag and deleting the branch.
>
> Is everyone generally in agreement with doing this soon?  If so, then I'm
> thinking target a week from today for the stable maint core team to scrub
> the list of open reviews in the next week and we then get the infra team to
> tag the branch and close it out.

Not really a surprise, but I support doing this soon. Next week seems fine
to me.

> The only open question I have is if we need to do an Icehouse point release
> prior to the tag and dropping the branch, but I don't think that's happened
> in the past with branch end of life - the eol tag basically serves as the
> placeholder to the last 'release'.

I don't think we need to do a point release, there will be the icehouse-eol
tag which will mark the same thing. But, even if we later decide to add a
point release to mark the same thing it is trivial to push another tag for
the same sha1.

> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-May/065144.html
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-relmgt-stable-branch
> [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+branch:stable/icehouse,n,z