[openstack-dev] Targeting icehouse-eol?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 4 08:12:59 UTC 2015

Matthew Treinish wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 09:06:29AM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> Following on the thread about no longer doing stable point releases [1] at
>> the summit we talked about doing icehouse-eol pretty soon [2].
>>
>> I scrubbed the open stable/icehouse patches last week and we're down to at
>> least one screen of changes now [3].
>>
>> My thinking was once we've processed that list, i.e. either approved what
>> we're going to approve or -2 what we aren't, then we should proceed with
>> doing the icehouse-eol tag and deleting the branch.
>>
>> Is everyone generally in agreement with doing this soon?  If so, then I'm
>> thinking target a week from today for the stable maint core team to scrub
>> the list of open reviews in the next week and we then get the infra team to
>> tag the branch and close it out.
>
> Not really a surprise, but I support doing this soon. Next week seems fine
> to me.

Right, I also support doing this sometimes this month.

>> The only open question I have is if we need to do an Icehouse point release
>> prior to the tag and dropping the branch, but I don't think that's happened
>> in the past with branch end of life - the eol tag basically serves as the
>> placeholder to the last 'release'.
>
> I don't think we need to do a point release, there will be the icehouse-eol
> tag which will mark the same thing. But, even if we later decide to add a
> point release to mark the same thing it is trivial to push another tag for
> the same sha1.

I CC-ed the stable branch release managers for their opinion on it. We
definitely announced a 2014.1.5 last icehouse release, so I think we
should probably do one. Ideally we would have time to coordinate it in
the coming week so that both plans are compatible.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)