[User-committee] OpenStack End User Working Group

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Aug 22 20:11:30 UTC 2014

I agree that we need to do a bit more work on defining what an end user is. The term end user is very much relative depending on who you’re talking to. Naming things is hard.

1. If you’re talking to an OpenStack developer who is creating a new Cinder driver, the end user to them is likely an OpenStack operator.

2. If you’re talking to an OpenStack developer who is creating a new API method, the end user to them is likely an application developer.

3. If you’re talking to an OpenStack developer who is creating a CLI command, the end user to them is likely an application operator.

I talked a bit about this in my User Survey presentation at the last summit and here’s how I view the grid of OpenStack users [1]. We also discussed what to call end users on this list a while back [2] and, for the purposes of that thread, more or less settled on application developers.

To me the end users we’re discussing here are those that develop *and* operate applications targeting OpenStack clouds. I really don’t want us to lose site of the operators that deploy and maintain the applications built by developers for OpenStack clouds.

Here's a straw man definition for end user to stimulate discussion. The public API is a good point of delineation.

An OpenStack end user is anyone who interacts with an OpenStack cloud via its public APIs. That is, anyone who develops, deploys, or maintains software that uses an OpenStack cloud via any technology that interacts with its public APIs.

Thoughts here?

Thanks,
Everett

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/phymata/you-sir-sir-vey/12