[User-committee] User developers

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jun 18 16:10:46 UTC 2013

Hi All,

When I was writing a blog post [1], I found myself stumbling over distinguishing between the developers of OpenStack itself and the developers who build on top of it. It might seem like a minor thing but as we all know, naming things is one of the hardest things in computer science. :)

I mulled over terms like solution developers, external developers, 3rd party developers, etc. but didn't care much for any of them. Now I'm thinking that in the spirit of the user committee and its draft charter [2] we should simply name them user developers.

It would be convenient if we could come to a (lazy) consensus on this and use one term moving forward as it's going to become more and more relevant as OpenStack matures.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Everett

[1] http://blog.phymata.com/2013/06/12/the-openstack-community-welcomes-developers-in-all-programming-languages/