[Openstack-i18n] I18n wiki page is translatable

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Wed Nov 11 06:46:59 UTC 2015

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 2015/11/11 12:45:50:

> From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> To: "Ian Y. Choi" <ianyrchoi at gmail.com>
> Cc: Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN, Openstack-i18n <openstack-
> i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 2015/11/11 12:46
> Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] I18n wiki page is translatable
>
> Hi Daisy, Ian,
>
> Thanks for the detail explanations, Ian.
>
> I am not necessarily opposing the current direction,
> but I would like to raise an issue of the process issue around this
change.
> As you see in I18nTeam wiki page, not a small number of language teams
> has their own contents (Japanese team is one of them; 9 language teams).
>
> I believe more clear guidance should be provided.
> Such disruptive change

I noticed some wiki pages are not editable now.
Anyway, we need to fix this error firstly before we move on.
I have asked Tom Field to disable the translation of I18nTeam.
Hope everything runs well.

> I have the following four questions:
>
> * l18nTeam/team/xxxx is a new place for a language-specific contents?
> * How can each language team migrate their content if they want?
>   Can we rename existing pages? (I could not find a way)
>   Do we need to recreate a new page?

I plan to (1) disable translation (2) move team pages to team/xxx,
and then (3) enable translation

> * What is the suggested way to create a link to a language specific page
from
>   the top page (I18nTeam) or translated pages?
>   I don't think using direct links is a good idea.
>
> * Who manages the source of translations?
>   AFAIK, when the original page I18nTeam is edited, changes will not
> be reflected
>   into the translation editor immediately. A translation coordinator
> of the OpenStack wiki
>   needs to approve the change MANUALLY. It is not automated at now.
>   I think this leads to mismatch between the source version and
> translated version
>   unless Translation coordinator of the OpenStack wiki approves
frequently.
>   (There is nothing translators can do)

I appreciate any passion in translation, and
I don't want to say NO to any translation requests.
I think the infrastructure should support the translation request,
but it's not a mandatory order.
Each language team could make their own decision.

I noticed the changes must be approved after enabling translation.
I think some administrators will take care of those requests.

> In a longer term, IMO it is better to move all contents to openstack/i18n
repo
> and make docuements in i18n repo translated. Wiki page are only used for
> contents more frequently edited.

I agree.

> Thanks,
> Akihiro

> > Hello Akihiro,
> >
> > Actually I suggested a translatable I18nTeam wiki page [1] for Korean
during
> > last Tokyo Design Summit.
> > After saying it, I found that there might be a problem in Japanese
local
> > team
> > because Japanese language team already used /ja page, as you mentioned
and
> > which would make conflict with translation functionality in OpenStack
wiki.

> > Let me first say why Korean translation page for I18nTeam is needed and
> > how Korean translation team wants to use two wiki pages separately:
> >
> >  1) https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/ko
> >  : To provide Korean guys with official I18nTeam introduction wiki page
> >  : I think "Local Translation Teams" section is needed because this
> > information is
> >    beneficial with the knowledge of the various language team
activities.

> >  2) https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/team/ko_KR
> >   (I found that Daisy moved from .../ko_KR to .../team/ko_KR. Thank
you!)
> >  : To introduce Korean translation team with details and our specific
> > translation rules
> >  : Providing links for OpenStack I18n official introduction wiki page &
its
> > translation
> >
> > I would like to respect I18nTeam official wiki page, and this
information is
> > written in English.
> > In my opinion, translating this page would more clearly advertise
OpenStack