[User-committee] [Product] review of PWG slide deck

Arkady.Kanevsky at dell.com Arkady.Kanevsky at dell.com
Wed Jun 21 16:44:59 UTC 2017

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FWuIModYuIxNOYFne7y-yfF70UDKOMQ2JEUeEwTtt20/edit?usp=sharing

Andy,
First, great slides. Thanks for creating them.

A few comments.
Slide 1 - agree with all statements but one
*       Lack of process or governance to prioritize Development Proposals and/or identify Community priorities/goals for each release
In PWG we do have a process. We actually put all proposals to vote on which ones we will drive per release. The real problem is lack of resources to drive them.
We can barely drive 3 proposal thru community. And users demand much more than that.
We do not have any real data how successful we are on driving proposals thru development projects.

The only real thing we were successful is roadmap creation and maintenance.

Slide 8 -
*       Gather data/requirements from other working groups; coordinate overlaps
Other -> all user/operator WG
What do we mean coordinate overlap? The more people involved in development proposal the stronger it will be. And more people voting it to prioritize it for driving thru TC and PTLs.
*       Periodic coordination/collaboration across WGs/Product Managers.
We do not do that too well after initial engagement on getting proposal gaps into various projects.

*       Work to inject User Priorities into the OpenStack Roadmap
Not sure if we need this as a separate goal. That comes out of previous major goal: Development Proposal Planning, Prioritization, and Development

Thanks,
Arkady Kanevsky, Ph.D.
Director of SW Development
Dell EMC CPSD