[User-committee] [user-committee][all][openstack-operators] Turning TC/UC workgroups into OpenStack SIGs

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 00:45:42 UTC 2017

seems like I forget to cc uc-ml. My reply to the dev-ml copied below:

to put my public cloud wg hat on, I think the lack of coordination is a
common problems among OpenStack WGs but I think transitioning WGs to SIGs
will not help solving the issue alone.

I think from my observations from existing WGs, the mechanism that are now
in place works great, we have many productive output coming out of WGs.

The core problem here is how WG chairs establish a working method with PTLs
of related project each cycle, so that both side understand each other and
important matters getting solved in the near cycles. The dev circles and
non-dev circles are fairly isolated at the moment.

Merely rebranding WGs won't solve this core problem, I would recommend the
following actions:

1. In addition to the current TC/UC/Projects/WG mechanism, allow people to
establish adhoc SIGs without any procedure overhead (getting approved by
any entity). Folks in the spontaneously established SIGs could find their
best way to get their requirement done. We could have an overall wiki page
for collection/registration of all the SIGs created.

2. Enhance dev/non-dev comms. I doubt more meetings will be the solution.

a. I would suggest projects when doing their planning at Forum or PTG,
always leave a spot for requirement from WGs. And WG chairs should
participate this dev meetings if their WG has done related work.
b. Moreover the foundation could start promotion of project/WG
collaboration best practices, or even specify in the release document that
certain feature are based upon feedback from a certain WGs.

c. WG should have cycle-based releases of works so that they got a sense of
timing, no lost in a permanent discussion mode for issues.

My 2 cents

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado