[Openstack] Is it possible to use OVS inside an Openstack VM ?

David Fernandes dfernandes at toulouse.viveris.com
Mon Jun 18 10:26:00 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

I have just 1 question. Is it possible to use OVS inside an Openstack VM
? Let me explain my issue.

I have created 2 Ubuntu 16.04 VMs and installed last version of OVS in
both. Both VMs are connected to the same network and they can ping each
other.
Then, I have created an OVS bridge (namely "br-test") in the first VM
and I have added the port of the VM (ens1) to the ovs bridge as usual.
At this point I cant't ping from one VM to the other.
If I perform tcpdump on the bridge (tcpdump br-test), I see that ARP
requests are sent but they are not sent by the interface of the VM (ens1).
I tried to add the MAC addreses manually to the ARP table of each VM.
When I ping, I see the same case :  icmp packets outgoing the bridge
br-test but never sent by the interface ens1 of the VM.

I have tried the same scenario using a linux bridge instead of OVS
swithch and it works.

Do you have any idea of why there are issues binding VM interface to OVS
bridges ? Any information will be really apreciated !! Thanks in advance
!!!

David