[Openstack] DietStack lightweight deployment

Kamil Madac kamil.madac at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 08:34:39 UTC 2018

Hi OpenStack community,

In my spare time I'm working on deployment of OpenStack called DietStack.
It started as a small POC and it turned out, but it is working for me,
so I'm making it publicly available under Apache2 license.

DietStack is aimed to cover small OpenStack deployments where end-user
(small development shops, schools, training labs, home users) have few machines,
doesn't need HA, does not want to spend hours with studying of all OpenStack
config files or to hire consultants to build and manage the private cloud and
still wants to profit from programmable infrastructure and other advantages of
Openstack private cloud.

DietStack makes OpenStack deployment easy without need of
configuration management tool like Ansible/Chef/Puppet. It is just set of
small docker images which are run by bash script. You could still want
to use configuration management tools, to run ds.sh on multiple machines,
and it is completely ok, but as it is about running just one command on multiple
machines I'm leaving it on end-user.

Main focus:

1. Linux, Bash and Docker are the only requirements.
2. One fixed configuration (KVM as Hypervisor, VXLANS on Linux Bridges for
   Neutron and NFS as Cinder backend), no need to fiddle with config files.
3. Upstream versions of openstack services are used to build docker images
4. Deployment is one simple bash script and configuration is done over
   environment variables. Config files for services are generated automatically
   within containers.

Docker images are based on Debian 9. Current version is build on Pike.
Currently, deployment on Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 is tested.

Github: https://github.com/dietstack/dietstack
Documentation: http://dietstack.readthedocs.io

It is still hobby project but if there is anyone who likes the idea and would
like to try it or even contribute you are welcome and I'm ready to help :).

--
Kamil Madac