[Openstack] internal dns management in mitaka

Brandon Sawyers brandor5 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 21:24:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 4:51 PM Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Brandon Sawyers wrote:
>
> > I am using Designate. But from what I understand it's just for external
> > DNS. I'm talking about internal dns between my guests on the same private
> > network.
>
> A DNS is a DNS is a DNS.. There's nothing that forces you to publish
> the Designate DNS to the Internet..
>
> Or maybe we're talking about different things?

I think we are. I'm specifically talking about having my nodes talk to each
other using a FQDN.

The DNS service that is available in Neutron _is_ (I'm guessing)
> supposed to be used "internally between instances". But that can't
> be "managed" in any way. It will auto create everything, and you
> can't change anything in it.

 I'm not sure if this is the case or not. I've seen several things online
saying that it is possible. I just can't seem to get it to work.

> So if you want different domains for different networks, different
> people to actually be able to CHANGE things in the DNS, then it's
> only Designate you can use.

I've got designate working so that when a floating ip gets added to an
instance the DNS will update but it only adds an entry for the floating ip,
not the private ip.

> .. as far as I know anyway.
>
> > Maybe this is where I'm going astray. I don't see dns_name on the
> instance
> > anywhere, just name.
>
> No, it doesn't exist there by default. You have to actually put it there
> manually (or automatically with your provisioning tool or whatever - I'm
> using Heat for that).

> > I have set dns_domain on the network but it ignores
> > that for internal dns and uses what is set as dns_domain in neutron.conf.
>
> It will be ignored unless there's _also_ a "dns_name" in the instance.

How would I do that? I don't see "dns_name" on a guest and neither
openstack client or nova client have a way to update it. It sounds like
you're using heat to create the port before hand and then heat attaches
that port to your instance.

> However, the port that gets created for the instance has  dns_name (but
> not
> > dns_domain). The dns_assignment shows the FQDN using the dns_domain from
> > neutron.conf that I mentioned above.
>
> The network have "dns_domain" and the instance/port have "dns_name".
> Combined
> (when configured correctly), will automatically create an entry in the
> domain in Designate.

> To setup Designate, you also have to create a Designate "pool" (basically
> specifying what type of DNS system you're using - I'm using Bind9 - where
> they are, setup secure RNDC etc, etc).

Yep, I've got designate working for floating ips, like I said above. Are
the networks you're using external networks and not internal? That might
explain what is happening.