[Openstack] internal dns management in mitaka

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Wed Sep 7 20:51:23 UTC 2016

On Sep 7, 2016, at 9:24 PM, Brandon Sawyers wrote:

> I am using Designate. But from what I understand it's just for external
> DNS. I'm talking about internal dns between my guests on the same private
> network.

A DNS is a DNS is a DNS.. There's nothing that forces you to publish
the Designate DNS to the Internet..

Or maybe we're talking about different things?

The DNS service that is available in Neutron _is_ (I'm guessing)
supposed to be used "internally between instances". But that can't
be "managed" in any way. It will auto create everything, and you
can't change anything in it.

So if you want different domains for different networks, different
people to actually be able to CHANGE things in the DNS, then it's
only Designate you can use.

.. as far as I know anyway.

> Maybe this is where I'm going astray. I don't see dns_name on the instance
> anywhere, just name.

No, it doesn't exist there by default. You have to actually put it there
manually (or automatically with your provisioning tool or whatever - I'm
using Heat for that).

> I have set dns_domain on the network but it ignores
> that for internal dns and uses what is set as dns_domain in neutron.conf.

It will be ignored unless there's _also_ a "dns_name" in the instance.

> However, the port that gets created for the instance has  dns_name (but not
> dns_domain). The dns_assignment shows the FQDN using the dns_domain from
> neutron.conf that I mentioned above.

The network have "dns_domain" and the instance/port have "dns_name". Combined
(when configured correctly), will automatically create an entry in the
domain in Designate.

To setup Designate, you also have to create a Designate "pool" (basically
specifying what type of DNS system you're using - I'm using Bind9 - where
they are, setup secure RNDC etc, etc).
--
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try!
- Yoda