[Openstack] internal dns management in mitaka

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Wed Sep 7 21:40:07 UTC 2016

On Sep 7, 2016, at 10:24 PM, Brandon Sawyers wrote:

> I think we are. I'm specifically talking about having my nodes talk to each
> other using a FQDN.

Yes, that IS what you use a DNS for.

> I'm not sure if this is the case or not. I've seen several things online
> saying that it is possible. I just can't seem to get it to work.

Such as?

> I've got designate working so that when a floating ip gets added to an
> instance the DNS will update but it only adds an entry for the floating ip,
> not the private ip.

Did you set "dns_name" on the private IP?

> How would I do that? I don't see "dns_name" on a guest and neither
> openstack client or nova client have a way to update it.

----- s n i p -----
bladeA01:~# neutron port-show e7c956c4-f146-4531-b18b-23388dcbaf8c  | grep dns| dns_assignment        | {"hostname": "host-10-100-0-247", "ip_address": "10.100.0.247", "fqdn": "host-10-100-0-247.openstack.domain.tld."} |
| dns_name              |                                                                                                                    |
----- s n i p -----

It's unset, because I don't use that system any more. See below.

----- s n i p -----
bladeA01:~# neutron port-update --help | grep dns
                           [--dns-name DNS_NAME | --no-dns-name]
  --dns-name DNS_NAME   Assign DNS name to the port (requires DNS integration
  --no-dns-name         Unassign DNS name from the port (requires DNS
----- s n i p -----

The "openstack" command isn't quite finished yet, so in this case you'll
need to use the "neutron" command.

> It sounds like
> you're using heat to create the port before hand and then heat attaches
> that port to your instance.

No, I create a OS::Designate::Record for the record manually in my
Heat stack. I no longer use the automated Designate addition.

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Neutron::FloatingIP-prop-dns_name

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Neutron::Port-prop-dns_name

> Yep, I've got designate working for floating ips, like I said above. Are
> the networks you're using external networks and not internal? That might
> explain what is happening.

No, internal. But as I've said, I now do this manually. But before that,
I had the automatic stuff working just fine. I just prefer to have better
control over where and how an entry is create (I have several different
domains, for different purposes and any port on a network, might have to
be added in several domains).
--
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they
make as they go by.