[Openstack] internal dns management in mitaka

Brandon Sawyers brandor5 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 20:24:04 UTC 2016

Thanks for your reply.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 3:49 PM Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 2:42 PM, Brandon Sawyers wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if there is a way to manage internal dns in mitaka other
> than
> > setting dns_domain to a blanket domain in neutron.conf (that applies to
> all
> > guests created across all projects/networks).
>
> You can always use Designate. That is the "real" DNS for Openstack.

I am using Designate. But from what I understand it's just for external
DNS. I'm talking about internal dns between my guests on the same private
network.

> I'm not exactly sure HOW to use the "Neutron DNS thingie". Maybe it just
> don't work for me because I managed to set that to the same domain name
> that I later used in Designate.. Haven't bothered to fix it, I rather
> use Designate.
>
> > What I'd like to be able to do is have each private network (or project
> > maybe?) be able to control the domain names attached to their guests.
>
> That's "easy" (setting up Designate is "a breeze" compared to Neutron :).
> You just set the "dns_domain" property on the network and the "dns_name"
> on the instance and it's automatic..

Maybe this is where I'm going astray. I don't see dns_name on the instance
anywhere, just name. I have set dns_domain on the network but it ignores
that for internal dns and uses what is set as dns_domain in neutron.conf.

However, the port that gets created for the instance has  dns_name (but not
dns_domain). The dns_assignment shows the FQDN using the dns_domain from
neutron.conf that I mentioned above.

If I remember correctly, Designate can also do reverse DNS, but I ended