[Openstack] Kilo->Liberty upgrade with the Cloud Archive

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 26 04:19:40 UTC 2016

I'm just about ready to upgrade to Liberty.  I've started a dry run by
setting up a trusty machine with the ubuntu kilo cloud archive in my
sources.list.d, and installed nova-compute, version
2015.1.2-0ubuntu2~cloud0.

Next I moved my cloud-archive reference to liberty, and ran 'apt-get
install nova-compute' and now I'm feeling like a college student who
skipped one too many classes because the version numbers in liberty are
totally different and apt's dependency graph is broken all the way down.
  So, I tried a full-blown 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and apt's default
behavior was to uninstall nova, so I guess apt has been skipping class too.

I'm missing something obvious, right?  Surely there's an upgrade path
around here someplace, and the cloud archive isn't a purely symbolic
exercise?

Thanks in advance -- sorry I'm a little ranty, it's past my bedtime :)

-Andrew