[Openstack] Mitaka, Xenial, OVS Firewall Driver and DPDK

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 02:47:05 UTC 2016

Hey guys!

 Next Ubuntu and Mitaka are promising something ultra mega cool!

 Look at this!

---
root at mitaka-1:~# apt install neutron-openvswitch-agent
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  dpdk libdpdk0 openvswitch-common openvswitch-switch
---

 Xenial will brings DPDK-2.2 fully supported for 5 years!

 However, I am curious about the following scenarios:

 Will be possible to use, at the same time (same Network and Compute nodes
/ Host Aggregate):

 1- Regular OVS bridges without DPDK for VXLAN Networks, with
OVS-Firewall-Driver and;

 2- OVS powered by DPDK for Provider Networks only ( without any firewall,
current case anyway, due to https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1531205
).

?

 I have NFV Instances that are also, DPDK L2 Bridges running on KVM Guest /
VirtIO, that are physically wired using Provider Networks (flat and vlans).

 So, for the Instance's vNICs (eth1 and eth2) that are used as a L2 bridge,
I don't want any kind of ovs-firewall (I'm not affected by LP #1531205 on
this case) and I want OVS+DPDK under it but, for SSH into the Instance to
manage it (via its eth0), it is still using regular VXLAN with Security
Groups - OVS-Firewall from now on (no need for DPDK under eth0 / VXLAN).

 I'm curious about this specially because the OVS Ubuntu package, makes use
of Debian's Alternatives subsystem, and we need to choose one OVS
(default), or another (with DPDK), via "update-alternatives", so, will be
possible to select OVS with DPDK but, use regular bridges with it as well
(for VXLAN networks)?

 If yes, how to create a VXLAN network with regular OVS and another
FLAT/VLAN network with OVS+DPDK ?

 Thanks in advance!

Best,
Thiago