[Openstack] there seems to be a conflict of IP port 6000 for swift

Peter Brouwer peter.brouwer at oracle.com
Fri Apr 29 09:51:59 UTC 2016

On 29/04/2016 10:12, Peter Brouwer wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> When looking at the ports used by the system I noticed port 6000 is
> already in use before starting the swift services.
>
> In the swift object-server.conf file the default port setting is 6000
> to, so yes when starting the swift object server there is an error
> message in the corresponding log file and the object-service is put in
> a maintenance state.
>
> How do I find out which other unix process is using this 6000 port, it
> seems that 6001 is in the range (6000-6007)  commonly used by x11. Why
> did the swift openstack folks pick the same port range for their
> storage services processes?
To followup on the last q, port 6000 is used by X11 if you enable tcp
listening option ( part of startx or in gdm config file)
This is considered a non secure situation and not recommended, but it
leaves the risk of swift using a same port as x11 if an admin chooses to
use the tcp listen option for remote X11 connections (vnc)

--
Regards,

Peter Brouwer, Principal Software Engineer,
Oracle Application Integration Engineering.
Phone:  +44 1506 672767, Mobile +44 7720 598 226
E-Mail: Peter.Brouwer at Oracle.com