[Openstack] Still wading through my first setup...

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Jan 29 20:57:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> On page 66 (as per the PDF), from http://docs.openstack.org/
> juno/install-guide/install/apt/openstack-install-guide-apt-juno.pdf, I am
> at "Install and configure network node".  This strikes me as stuff I
> should, then, be typing on... well, my network node.  However, at the top
> of the same page, it tells me to "Perform these commands on the controller
> node," and at no point does it actually say "perform these commands on the
> network node."  Since much of the setup is similar to stuff I've already
> done -- e.g., modifying the neutron.conf file -- I'm *ASSUMING* I should be
> doing this on the network node.  So:
>
> A) Am I right?

Never, ever assume. :) Just kidding. We have continually improved the guide
just for this type of question, so if it says "perform these on the
controller node" please do so. There's a method to the madness. The reason
you're reading it in a verification step is because you have to be sure the
neutron services are seen from there before you go on.

> B) If I am, to whom should I report a bug?  I know it's probably pretty
> obvious to those who've been down this road before, but to newbies like me,
> being as crazy clear about what gets typed on which machine is really,
> really helpful.

Please do report doc bugs on https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals.
In fact, if I can convince you to switch to the HTML output instead of
reporting PDF page numbers (I kid!), there's a bug link on each page that
pre-fills with information about where you are in the "book" and where the
source file lives. It helps immensely if you can log only what you know to
be doc bugs, not packaging bugs, and not ask for support help. Use the link
to http://ask.openstack.org to get support.

Hope this helps -- thanks for asking!
Anne

--