[Openstack] Neutron DB alembic migration issues with sqlite backend

Thanukrishnamurthy Madhusudhanan thanukrishnamurthy.madhusudha at oracle.com
Thu Jan 29 22:31:27 UTC 2015

Hello,

After updating the neutron package to Juno I ran neutron db migration to
complete the upgrade process.

The neutron alembic db migration scripts fail with sqlite database.
Reason for the failure:
- sqlite support very basic ALTER TABLE functionality. The only 2
operations that are supported by ALTER TABLE are renaming a table and
adding a new column.
- alembic also does not provide any workaround to circumvent the sqlite
limitations.

When I checked nova, I see that there are some alter table operations
done by the db migration scripts and those scripts are passing without
any issues. nova uses sqlalchemy and looks like it has a way to
workaround the sqlite limitation.

There are no issues with neutron db migration with MYSQL backend.

When I checked it with Anna Kamyshnikova I got the following response:

<snip>
/At this moment Neutron is tested and expected to work on MySQL and
PostgreSQL dialects only. Also I saw a couple of patches fixing it to
work on DB2. Here is an open bug
//https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1241952//about sqlite support.
Per Salvatore comment if we want to support SQLite it requires blueprint
and a rather big peace of work. I can start looking in this direction
and researching what should be done, but it definitely will go into next
release as Kilo have already been closed for blueprints./
/
/
/I think that openstack mailing list is better place to discuss this
issues, so I suggest to forward this messages with my answer there./
/
//Regards, /
/Ann/

<snip>

My questions are:
- Is sqlite a supported database for openstack?
- Is it formally documented that sqlite is NOT a supported openstack
database?
- Are there any workarounds or bug fixes done to solve this problem in
havana or later?

Thank you,
Thanu