[Openstack] is anyone using zeromq for RPC?

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 17 11:54:59 UTC 2014

Hi Li

On 17/09/14 11:58, Li Ma wrote:
>> The scale potential is very appealing and is something I want to
>> test - - hopefully in the next month or so.
>>
>> Canonical are interested in helping to maintain this driver and
>> hopefully we help any critical issues prior to Juno release.
>>

> That sounds good. I just went through all the bugs reported in the
> community.
>
> The only critical bug which makes ZeroMQ malfunction is
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+bug/1301723 and the
> corresponding review is under way:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/84938/

Agreed

> Others are tagged to 'zmq' in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging

Looking through Doug's suggested list of information and collating
what I know of from our work last week:

1) documentation for how to configure and use zeromq with
oslo.messaging (note, not the version in oslo-incubator, the version
in the messaging library repository)

As part of our sprint, I worked on automating deployment of OpenStack
+ 0MQ using Ubuntu + Juju (service orchestration tool). I can re-jig
that work into some general documentation on how best to configure
ZeroMQ with OpenStack - the current documentation is a bit raw and
does not talk about how to configure the oslo-messaging-zmq-receiver
at all.

I also plan some packaging updates for Debian/Ubuntu in our next dev
cycle to make this a little easier to configure and digest - for
example, right now no systemd unit/upstart configuration/sysv init
script is provided to manage the zmq-receiver.

I'd also like to document the current design of the ZMQ driver - Doug
- - where is the best place todo this? I thought in the source tree
somewhere.

2) a list of the critical bugs that need to be fixed + any existing
patches associated with those bugs, so they can be reviewed early in kilo

This blocks operation of nova+neutron environements:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+bug/1301723
	Patch: https://review.openstack.org/84938

Also notifcations are effectively unimplemented which prevents use
with Ceilometer so I'd also add:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+bug/1368154
	Patch: https://review.openstack.org/120745

3) an analysis of what it would take to be able to run functional
tests for zeromq on our CI infrastructure, not necessarily the full
tempest run or devstack-gate job, probably functional tests we place
in the tree with the driver (we will be doing this for all of the
drivers) + besides writing new functional tests, we need to bring the
unit tests for zeromq into the oslo.messaging repository

Kapil Thangavelu started work on both functional tests for the ZMQ
driver last week; the output from the sprint is here:

   https://github.com/ostack-musketeers/oslo.messaging

it covers the ZMQ driver (including messaging through the zmq-receiver
proxy) and the associated MatchMakers (local, ring, redis) at a
varying levels of coverage, but I feel it moves things in the right
direction - Kapil's going to raise a review for this in the next
couple of days.

Doug - has any structure been agreed within the oslo.messaging tree
for unit/functional test splits? Right now we have them all in one place.

Edward Hope-Morley also worked on getting devstack working with ZMQ:

   https://github.com/ostack-musketeers/devstack

that's still WIP but again we'll get any changes submitted for review
ASAP.

4) and some improvements that we would like to make longer term

a) Connection re-use on outbound messaging avoiding the current tcp
setup overhead for every sent message.  This may also bring further
performance benefits due to underlying messaging batching in ZMQ.

b) Moving from tcp PUSH/PULL sockets between servers to DEALER/DEALER
(or something similar) to allow for heartbeating and more immediate
failure detection

c) Crypto support

Cheers

James