[Openstack] portability and cloudbursting

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Fri Oct 10 22:32:11 UTC 2014

I'm unaware of a tutorial but this is a known use case for Heat.

Start here for auto-scaling within Openstack:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Plugins
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Providers

Re further design considerations and guidance, I wrote a series of articles
on cloudbursting for an InformationWeek sister site some time ago which
I've since transferred to our company website. Take a look for additional
info on the subject:
http://www.aqorn.com/?s=cloudbursting

To interact with external services, you need to write a plugin that enables
Heat to orchestrate auto-scaling with external services (AWS CloudFormation
for instance). This isn't an out of the box thing however so there will be
some trial/error going on.

Softlayer and Rackspace use Openstack I believe so those will simply
require some knowledge of their respective environment requirements.

You'll likely have trouble interacting with Azure, so be forewarned. Save
it for later/last.

Hope this helps,

Adam

*Adam Lawson*