[Openstack] Fwd: Re: How to make DevStack install OpenStack with Neutron?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 7 04:36:31 UTC 2014

> From: "Ian Y. Choi" <ian at naimnetworks.com>
> To: openstack at lists.openstack.org
> Cc: Mike Spreitzer/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
> Date: 10/06/2014 10:50 PM
> Subject: Fwd: Re: [Openstack] How to make DevStack install OpenStack
> with Neutron?

> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure which Linux distribution you are using such as Redhat and
Ubuntu.
> But, Hope that the two videos and localrc file would be helpful for you.
>
> - DevStack installation on VirtualBox: Icehouse with Neutron
>
> Video 1: http://youtu.be/zoi8WpGwrXM (Part 1: Installing Ubuntu
> Linux on VirtualBox)
> Video 2: http://youtu.be/1GgODv34E08 (Part 2: Installing DevStack
> with Neutron: Icehouse)
> Localrc file: http://goo.gl/OeOGq

Thank you, Ian.  I watched your videos. You pointed out that the floating
IP addresses are not working well for you.  Other people, such as
Salvatore Orlando in another reply to my question, have claimed that
floating IP addresses will work.  I would like to have the floating IP
addresses working well for me.

In one of my replies to Salvatore I said that I am not picky.  Perhaps I
have one unusual requirement: I do not want to install OpenStack in a
VirtualBox VM.  I want to install OpenStack on a bare metal machine, and I
want to install OpenStack in a VM made by somebody else's OpenStack
installation.

I noticed that you did not discuss the setting of FLOATING_RANGE and
PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY.  I suspect that, in order for floating IP
addresses to work correctly, the settings of these need to bear some
particular relationship to the host's IP address, netmask, and gateway.
And I wonder whether PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY describes a pre-existing
gateway or one that DevStack will create.

I am attempting only a single-node install.  I prefer to use Ubuntu 14.04
on the host.  I want DevStack to install the latest code from the "master"
branch.

I think there was a copy-and-paste error on the short URL for your
localrc; I presume you meant http://goo.gl/OeOGqL --- as in your video.

Thanks,
Mike