[Openstack] Fwd: Re: How to make DevStack install OpenStack with Neutron?

Ian Y. Choi ian at naimnetworks.com
Tue Oct 7 05:36:14 UTC 2014

Hello Mike,

The main reason why floating IP addresses are not working in my video is
that I used VirtualBox 4.2.

To support floating IP addresses, first of all, you need to pre-create a
network which supports floating IP addresses,
and this floating IP network should support public network connection,
although it might not be mandatory.

I used VirtualBox 4.2 and NAT functionality in VirtualBox, and the
configuration for floating IP addresses are rather difficult in
VirtualBox 4.2 environment.
(Of course, I can pre-create floating IP addresses using another
technique, but it is so difficult to put all the things in one video.)

I had experiences that floating IP addresses are working well using
VirtualBox 4.3.
But for this environment, you really need to configure FLOATING_RANGE
and PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY options.

When you configure FLOATING_RANGE, you also configure subnet because the
configuration example would be
'FLOATING_RANGE=10.0.100.128/25'.

PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY is the gateway address you already had such as
'PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY=10.0.100.1'.
Neutron, and even DevStack does not create any public network gateway.

So, to summarize,
: All the required information for floating IP address range: IP
address, subnet, and gateway are configured using those two options.
: You need to pre-create floating IP addresses before you install DevStack.

And yes. I wrongly pasted from the localrc file URL. Thank you!

Thanks,

/Ian