[Openstack] How to make DevStack install OpenStack with Neutron?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 6 23:56:59 UTC 2014

> From: Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com>
> To: Mike Spreitzer/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
> Cc: OpenStack <openstack at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 10/06/2014 05:40 PM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] How to make DevStack install OpenStack with
Neutron?

> Some (hopefully) helpful answer inline.
>
> Salvatore
>
> On 6 October 2014 22:45, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to use DevStack to install OpenStack, including
> Neutron, so that OpenStack can make a VM that can communicate with
> the world beyond OpenStack?  I am looking for a simple localrc or
> local.conf that will do this.
>
> This is a localrc I have been using for ages for launching neutron
> (with a few changes over time, of course): http://
> paste.openstack.org/show/119143/

When I open http://paste.openstack.org/show/119143/ in my browser, I see
this:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your
request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the
application.

> Let us take a concrete example.  Suppose I have a machine with one NIC,
at
> 10.84.133.238/28.  It has a simple routing table: one entry for the
> local subnet, one default route through a gateway at 10.84.133.225.
> I have nothing else on the 10.84.133.238/28 subnet, I can use the
> other addresses (aside from .224 and .239) for VMs. What do I put in
> my localrc?  Do I have to fix up anything after stack.sh completes?
>
> If that's your only interface, there is no need to specify anything
> in localrc.

You mean I do not have to set PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY=10.84.133.225 in my
localrc?  I guess I am still confused about a basic fact about
PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY: is this the IP address of a pre-existing gateway
between my host's subnet and the wider world, or is it the IP address that
DevStack will assign to a gateway that DevStack creates between
OpenStack's external and private networks?

> I rarely do that, but if you wish to use flat or vlan networking
> you'll probably need to specify the name of a bridge in localrc.

To start with, I'll settle for anything that works.

> Once I have a working OpenStack, the remaining questions are about
> how to use it to create a VM with the desired ability.  That would
> be as the demo user, in the demo tenant, right?  I would need a
> security group that allows the desired communication, of course.
> Create the VM on the private net, give it a floating IP on the
> public network.  Any tricks missed here?
>
> Devstack will give you a private network connected to a router which
> is uplinked to the external network. So you're right - you just need
> to boot a vm and assign a floating ip to its port.
>
> Does it matter whether my machine at 10.84.133.238 is a bare metal
> machine or a VM in some undercloud?
>
> I don't think it matters, at least with the ML2 plugin and OVS/LB
> mech drivers - plus other plugins I know of. But restrictions might
> exist with other plugins of which I'm not aware.
>

> Does it matter whether my machine has multiple ethN interfaces that
> have been bonded to make the interface (named bond0) in use?
>
> I don't think it matters at all, especially if you have a single node
setup.

Thanks,
Mike