[Openstack] How to make DevStack install OpenStack with Neutron?

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Oct 6 21:40:19 UTC 2014

Some (hopefully) helpful answer inline.

Salvatore

On 6 October 2014 22:45, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to use DevStack to install OpenStack, including Neutron, so
> that OpenStack can make a VM that can communicate with the world beyond
> OpenStack?  I am looking for a simple localrc or local.conf that will do
> this.

This is a localrc I have been using for ages for launching neutron (with a
few changes over time, of course): http://paste.openstack.org/show/119143/

> Let us take a concrete example.  Suppose I have a machine with one NIC, at
> 10.84.133.238/28.  It has a simple routing table: one entry for the local
> subnet, one default route through a gateway at 10.84.133.225.  I have
> nothing else on the 10.84.133.238/28 subnet, I can use the other
> addresses (aside from .224 and .239) for VMs. What do I put in my localrc?
> Do I have to fix up anything after stack.sh completes?

If that's your only interface, there is no need to specify anything in
localrc.
I rarely do that, but if you wish to use flat or vlan networking you'll
probably need to specify the name of a bridge in localrc.

> Once I have a working OpenStack, the remaining questions are about how to
> use it to create a VM with the desired ability.  That would be as the demo
> user, in the demo tenant, right?  I would need a security group that allows
> the desired communication, of course.  Create the VM on the private net,
> give it a floating IP on the public network.  Any tricks missed here?

Devstack will give you a private network connected to a router which is
uplinked to the external network. So you're right - you just need to boot a
vm and assign a floating ip to its port.

> Does it matter whether my machine at 10.84.133.238 is a bare metal machine
> or a VM in some undercloud?

I don't think it matters, at least with the ML2 plugin and OVS/LB mech
drivers - plus other plugins I know of. But restrictions might exist with
other plugins of which I'm not aware.

> Does it matter whether my machine has multiple ethN interfaces that have
> been bonded to make the interface (named bond0) in use?

I don't think it matters at all, especially if you have a single node setup.