[Openstack] Export tenant configuration

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Jan 23 05:32:32 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Salvo Rapisarda's message of 2014-01-22 11:06:17 -0800:
> Il 22/01/2014 18.18, Jay Pipes ha scritto:
> > On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 17:21 +0100, Salvo Rapisarda wrote:
> >> But you surely know that MySQL is not the only SQL back-end for
> >> OpenStack services. ;-)
> >
> > I don't see any mention of MySQL below by Nick Ma.
>
> Sorry, you are right.
> MySQL is my OpenStack sql backend. :)
>
> >> This is why I was looking for an alternative solution for export/import
> >> the structure of my project.
> >
> > What do you mean by "structure of my project"? The data for the various
> > resources consumed by your project is stored in a number of databases.
> > Additionally, with data about the project itself is stored in the
> > Keystone back-end storage (either RDBMS, KVS or LDAP).
> >
> > If you want to port the network configuration from Grizzly to Havana, UI
> > would just make a snapshot of your Quantum database in Grizzly and start
> > your Havana database from that snapshot, and run the db schema
> > migrations on it.
> >
> > Best,
> > -jay
> >
> I know, but I think can be helpful to use a tool for generate, for
> example, an XML file of my Project that is compatible with the all
> releases of OpenStack.

If you use Heat to manage your resources you already have this. Just
deploy your stack again.

There is work landing now which will allow Heat to adopt existing
resources. So that would be a good format to use as the serialization
of all the things in your cloud. Then you just need a tool that lists
out everything and saves in the format. That would be quite useful to
help drive Heat adoption I think. :)