[Openstack] [Swift] Capturing performance penalities Physical versus VM

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Fri Feb 21 21:47:31 UTC 2014

I have a large client who wants to execute a global deployment of Swift in
Production but do it on VM's, shared storage and RAID.

Read on after you stop laughing. Serenity now!

Okay, their splendid idea is to start with VM's in Production, add physical
hardware later then retire the VM's. This direction is completely against
my recommendations but we're still talking and the direction isn't final so
that's a good thing. I think I just need some relevant benchmarks to help
communicate why deploying on VM's isn't a Production-worthy strategy when
we're talking about Swift.

So, are there benchmarks already published somewhere that demonstrate
how/why a virtual infrastructure is such a bad idea with Swift? We all know
Swift is designed to be a storage provider - not a storage consumer and
that running Swift with shared storage with RAID is utterly foolish. But my
recommendation is being overridden by folks who feel the bad performance
isn't really all that bad and because the VM's are going to be temporary.
We all know temporary = permanent when you're talking about Production, . I
don't have physical hardware to execute benchmarks and prove my point (well
not yet anyway).

Thoughts/suggestions?

*Adam Lawson*
AQORN, Inc.