[Openstack] [Swift] Capturing performance penalities Physical versus VM

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Sat Feb 22 00:47:13 UTC 2014

There are 2 reasons you don't want to run Swift on VMs:

1) (minor reason, depending on the use case) performance. Virtualized IO is going to have worse performance for storage than bare metal. In some cases this may not matter, and in others you may use Super Awesome Virt (tm) that doesn't have any IO penalty. But in general, there will be some performance penalty. It's up to you to see if it's worth it or not.

2) (major reason) failure domains. Swift is designed to decouple the data from the storage media. This is done by abstracting away the storage volumes (ie drives) and presenting it to the application as a unified namespace. Swift does data placement and failure handling based on the failure domains in the underlying hardware. So if you have 3 replicas of the data and 5 servers, Swift will ensure that none of the three replicas are on the same server. This gives you high availability and means that hardware failure can be seamlessly handled. If you hide the failure domains from Swift by running on virtual servers, you will be at higher risk for a loss of availability (at best) and loss of data (at worse) because your data may in fact be stored on the same physical hardware underlying the virtual machines.[1] This is the main reason you don't want to run Swift on top of other systems (hardware or software) that hide the failure domains. Swift is designed to work around failures (and does a really good job). Let it do it's job.

[1] And since VMs are designed to be moved around, starting with "we'll just make sure our VMs are on different physical servers" doesn't seem like a long-term tenable plan.

--John