[Openstack] Neutron vs. FlatDHCP -- what's the latest?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 22 02:00:02 UTC 2014

Greetings!

I'm about to set up a new cloud, so for the second time this year I'm
facing the question of Neutron vs. nova-network.  In our current setup
we're using nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager with floating IPs.
This config has been working fine, and would probably be our first
choice for the new cloud as well.

At this point is there any compelling reason for us to switch to
Neutron?  My understanding is that the Neutron flat network model still
doesn't support anything similar to floating IPs, so if we move to
Neutron we'll need to switch to a subnet-per-tenant model. Is that still
correct?

I'm puzzled by the statement that " upgrades without instance downtime
will be available in the Kilo release"[1] -- surely for such a path to
exist, Kilo/Neutron would need to support all the same use cases as
nova-network.  If that's right and Neutron is right on the verge of
supporting flat-with-floating then we may just cool our jets and wait to
build the new cloud until Kilo is released. I have no particular reason
to prefer Neutron, but I'd like to avoid betting on a horse right before
it's put down :)

Thanks!

-Andrew

[1]