[Openstack] What's physical network for?

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 19:40:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

I presume that you upgraded from an older version that used nova-network
(now called legacy networking).

Using neutron means that VMs aren't connected to br0 directly any more
as there is a whole virtual networking infrastructure in place.

To give a small overview:

On a compute node a VM connects to br-int (integration bridge). This
bridge itself is connected through a virtual cable to br-tun (tunneling
bridge). That bridge has also assigned a physical interface that allows
traffic to flow to the network node

On the network node there also exists a br-tun that has a physical
interface attached. Through this inferface traffic enters the node.
br-tun is virtually connected to br-ex that has a separate physical
interface attached that connects to "the outside", meaning the
networking infrastructure outside your cloud.

I cannot help you with the configuration issue but recommend that you
familiarize yourself with neutron.

Regards,

	Uwe