[Openstack] What's physical network for?

Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado gaguilar at aguilardelgado.com
Sun Dec 14 18:36:41 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm installing a new compute node from scratch and reviewing all old
config. I've found two setting that seems equal, one in ml2 plugin and
one in openvswitch.

But I don't really understand why they are.

ovs_neutron_plugin.ini:
	bridge_mappings = default:br0,extnet1:br-ex

ml2/ml2_conf.ini:
[ovs]
bridge_mappings = default:br0,extnet1:br-ex

For me it's strange the settings are in both places. I think this is a
result of upgrading without taking much care of removing old config.

 But also it's strange that everything works with the bridges br0 and
br-ex without physical interface. I mean, seems to do nothing but it
needs to be there.
Also I should expect VM be attached to br0 (Default) but it's not, they
are attached to the br-int (integration bridge), for me this is
correct. Since it's described here like this:

https://openstack.redhat.com/Networking_in_too_much_detail

And works ok.

So what's the purporse of these bridges?

Here is:

neutron 2.3.4
nova      2.17.0

Best regards,