[Openstack] horizon customization_module example???

Wyllys Ingersoll Wyllys.Ingersoll at evault.com
Mon Mar 4 21:59:31 UTC 2013

Can someone elaborate on how to use the "customization_module" setting in local_settings.py?

Im running openstack-dashboard Version: 2012.2.1-0ubuntu1~cloud0 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I read the documentation here - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/topics/customizing.html but several things are still unclear to me, even for a simple mod such as removing and/or renaming some panels.

I want to just make a few modifications to the standard dashboard and panel, I don't want to write a whole new dashboard or write entirely new panels.  I just want to eliminate some of the existing ones (as a start).

For example, say I want to eliminate the "volumes" and "instances" panels from the project dashboards.  I'd prefer to NOT have to modifying the original system modules deep down in /usr/share/pyshared/horizon/dashboards/nova/dashboard.py.  I hope that's not the answer.

The documentation seems to indicate that this could be done with the customization_module, but I can't figure out where it goes or what the structure would look like.

Questions:
- If I name the customization_module as "my_dashboard.overrides" - where does the "overrides" file need to be created (i.e. what directory - full path) ?
- Does it require other files to be present in that directory also such as the __init__.py or models.py  like a complete dashboard would?

I think once I can figure out where to put my custom mods without making horizon barf all over itself, I can make my changes, but getting started is proving difficult.

thanks,
  Wyllys