[Openstack] horizon customization_module example???

Kieran Spear kispear at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 23:52:25 UTC 2013

Hi Wyllys,

On 5 March 2013 08:59, Wyllys Ingersoll <Wyllys.Ingersoll at evault.com> wrote:
> Questions:
> - If I name the customization_module as "my_dashboard.overrides" - where does the "overrides" file need to be created (i.e. what directory - full path) ?

my_dashboard.overrides needs to be importable by the process running
Horizon. So your my_dashboard module needs to be on your python path
somehow. Probably the easiest way is to add a python-path argument to
the WSGIDaemonProcess line in Apache's Horizon config. I'm not sure
where this lives exactly for the ubuntu package (should be somewhere
under /etc/apache2/).

Assuming your my_dashboard module lives in /opt/python/my_dashboard,
you'd make it look like the following:

WSGIDaemonProcess [... existing options ...] python-path=/opt/python

Alternatively you can make your module an installable python package
and install it system-wide (e.g., create a setup.py).

> - Does it require other files to be present in that directory also such as the __init__.py or models.py  like a complete dashboard would?

It will need a __init__.py but should be fine without a models.py.

I'll see about getting this info added to the docs.

Cheers,
Kieran