[Openstack] Network Config

Evan Callicoat diopter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 15:56:25 UTC 2013

On 07/30/2013 08:31 AM, Brandon Adams wrote:
> Hi all, I'm trying to set up OpenStack using PackStack in a single
> node configuration, and I believe I'm having some network issues. I
> think I've narrowed the problem down to a forwarding issue, i.e.
> the packets meant for 192.168.32.x (Pack Stack default fixed
> address) aren't being routed correctly. When I tcpdump br100 and
> try and ping my vm, all that shows up are ARP requests, like:
>
> 16:55:52.216132 ARP, Request who-has 192.168.32.2 tell
> 192.168.32.1, length 28
>
> My public interface is eth0, with addresses 192.168.0.xxx, and my
> flat interface is lo (loopback). I've been following the directions
> on the site to the letter and it still fails. Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to what the problem is and how I can solve it? I've
> pasted some information below, and I can follow up with more as
> needed. Thanks.
>
> ifconfig http://pastebin.com/ZkiTaFSm
>
> ip addr http://pastebin.com/ZZ18TVu7
>
> nova.conf http://pastebin.com/B2zZRZ2W
>
> iptables http://pastebin.com/Gh5psYH3
>
> Brandon

You *definitely* don't want to use lo for flat_interface. Or for
anything else, really, insofar as OpenStack configuration. I'm not
familiar with PackStack, but flat_interface helps dictate interface
matching criteria in the generated iptables rules. flat_interface
should also not have an IP on it, as it will get bridged and the IP
may get moved (depending on whether you're doing single-NIC or not).
You can also simply not specify a flat_interface. This section of the
docs has more:

http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/libvirt-flat-dhcp-networking.html