[Openstack] Network Config

Rami Vaknin rvaknin at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 20:48:45 UTC 2013

On 07/30/2013 04:31 PM, Brandon Adams wrote:
> Hi all, I'm trying to set up OpenStack using PackStack in a single
> node configuration, and I believe I'm having some network issues. I
> think I've narrowed the problem down to a forwarding issue, i.e. the
> packets meant for 192.168.32.x (Pack Stack default fixed address)
> aren't being routed correctly. When I tcpdump br100 and try and ping
> my vm, all that shows up are ARP requests, like:
>
> 16:55:52.216132 ARP, Request who-has 192.168.32.2 tell 192.168.32.1,
> length 28

Did your instance actually got this address (192.168.32.2)? I assume it
didn't since if it doesn't answer to arp so it couldn't communicate with
the dhcp server.
I would start with the following:
1. Verify that 192.168.32.2 is the instance address (run "nova list"),
sometimes the second address of the network belongs to the dhcp server.
2. Verify that the instance gets its private IP, if not, set it manually
just for debugging.
3. Flush iptables in the compute node and inside the instance's os (run
"iptables -F" and verify that the chains are on ACCEPT).
4. Ping the instance and run tcpdump from inside the instance ("tcpdump
-i any -s 0 arp -nn").

Rami Vaknin, QE @ Red Hat, TLV, IL.