[Openstack] [StackTach][Metering] Nova summary report for the PHB in your life ...

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Thu Feb 14 21:42:26 UTC 2013

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for this announcement - we use StackTach extensively and this
will be very useful.

I have another reporting tool that uses StackTach's database that might be
of interest to you. Our users have the ability to run Windows instances and
we wanted to have the ability to provide Windows licenses similar to
Amazon. In short, we were able to join a Microsoft program for this and
report the license usage back to MS each month.

The following script generates that report:
https://github.com/jtopjian/puppet-admin/blob/dair/files/openstack/reports/windows_report.rb

An example output is:
https://gist.github.com/jtopjian/4955292

(names anonymized)

Anyway, just thought it might be of interest!

Thank you again for StackTach. I think it's an awesome tool and can't see
using OpenStack without it. I plan on looking at it in more detail when I
get time and seeing if I can contribute anything back or at the least
spread the word about its use.

Oh, I have a Puppet module for it here:
https://github.com/jtopjian/puppet-stacktach

I hope to get it uploaded to the Puppet Forge soon.

(apologizes if this message is not threaded correctly - my mailing list
subscription was in flux when the original message came in so I don't have
it to properly reply to.)

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.