[Openstack] Ability to view Ubuntu boot process in VNC console

Andrii Loshkovskyi loshkovskyi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:11:14 UTC 2013

Currently, when I boot up an Ubuntu virtual machine, the boot process
messages are not shown up in the VNC console. Everything that I see in the
console is "iPXE Booting from ROM...", black screen and login entry at the
end. I am using OpenStack Essex and my VM's image was built from Ubuntu
Server 12.04 LTS. I tried editing the GRUB config file /etc/default/grub
and updating configuraton with update-grub afterwards. Particularly, I made
sure there is no "quiet" option in the Linux command line parameters,
GRUB_TERMINAL=console is uncommented, etc.

The problem is it looks like Nova does not use this GRUB config at all. Any
changes applied to the GRUB config are not visible on the boot process. I
studied documentation and googled a lot trying to understand how the VMs
boot process works in OpenStack but with no success.

I need your help on this issue. I would appreciate if someone shares an
advice how to view the boot messages while booting up a VM or point me to
the proper documentation. Let me know if you need more details on my
configuration as it looks to be a rather general issue.

Thank you for your help.