[Openstack] OpenStack (+ Quantum Deployment) Scenarios

Robert Garron Robert.Garron at Access3000.net
Fri Nov 9 02:56:55 UTC 2012

Dan,

I see your point about throughput and I/O, but if you have a multi-core
server, greater than say 4 cores, and thus likely you would have
multiple NICs, 2 or More, your assumptions fall apart about the cpu
usage and I/o.  For example, using XEN or Qemu or in the older systems
where this concept originated - VMS OS (from Digital Equipment Corp. -
see Galaxy product and similar) you can assign affinity to CPUs or even
dedicate CPU's to tasks or VM's.  In addition, using Cisco networking or
similar you can dedicated I/O paths, and within a system, you can even
dedicated a NIC Card or Port to a path.  So the deployment of OpenStack
on one physical server or several should not even be a consideration
except to the installer and their budget; and whether or not High
Availability is a concern.  What I think is important is the consistency
of the network design, I/O design for multiple VM's and the related load
and intended usage of the individual cores of a server.  But the most
important consistency is having installation guides that work over and
over for installations on different hardware and OS's.

Myself, if I can get past my current nova and horizon issues, I will
then be in a position to contribute in this and many other areas....

Regards,
Robert