[Openstack] nova.conf file, using cinder instead of nova-volume

Ahmed Al-Mehdi ahmed at coraid.com
Mon Nov 5 20:43:16 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am following the steps outlined in "OpenStack Install and Deploy – Ubuntu" to setup a two node configuration.  I plan to use Cinder as the block storage instead of nova-volume.  I have a few question regarding sample nova.conf file mentioned in the doc ( http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/apt/content/compute-minimum-configuration-settings.html ):

 - In the "VOLUME" section, are those same options applicable for Cinder?   Is there any documentation on installing Cinder (even a draft copy).

 - Does Cinder use the same iscsi application (iSCSI Target) and utility to create/manage storage as nova-volume?

 - In the section "COMPUTE" section, "libvirt_type=qem".  I am guessing since the manual is written specific for kvm, the config parameter should be "libvirt_type=kvm".  Is that a typo in the doc?

- In the section "COMPUTE/APIS",

# COMPUTE/APIS: if you have separate configs for separate services
# this flag is required for both nova-api and nova-compute
allow_resize_to_same_host=True

What exactly does "separate config" mean, separate config file, different configuration?  Did not find much info in the docs ( http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/admin/content/compute-options-reference.html ).   Should I just leave it to "true".

- In the section "NETWORK", I am assuming the config "my_ip" is not used by nova, but for internal consumption by the script?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Ahmed.