[Openstack] Distributed configuration database

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Fri Nov 2 19:17:31 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 12:19:58AM +0530, Aniruddha Khadkikar wrote:
: However I feel that the parameters that
:govern the behaviour of openstack components should be in a data store
:that can be queried from a single data store. Also it would make
:deployments less error prone.

On one hand I agree having a single source of truth is appealing in
many ways.  The simplicity of text configuration files and the shared
nothing nature of having config local to each system is also very
appealing.

In my world my puppet manifest is my single source of truth which
provides both a single config interface so there is no error prone
manual duplication and also results in a fully distributed text
configuration so the truth persists even if the source is down for a
while.

There's a number of things besides puppet to implement this type of
management with but conceptually I very much think that is the right
thing.

-Jon

:Aniruddha
: